Removing Mom's Blindfold to the Danger Facing Her Kids by Francis P. Koster, Ed.D. When I was a young boy on the verge of becoming a man, my dad invited my brother and me to a "special" fishing trip. He made it clear it was going to be a "guys" event for the three of …

How to Raise an Environmentalist Read More »

 Having the Courage to Make Hard Choices by Francis P. Koster, Ed.D. Thanksgiving approaches. I will bow my head in gratitude for my children and grandchildren and appreciating what they have brought to my life, and rededicating my energy to protect them from harm as best I can. Occasionally I read terrible, gut-wrenching stories about someone …

How to Raise an Environmentalist Read More »

Local Leadership Can Fuel Change by Francis P. Koster Ed.D  Who ever thought that the route to a better America might be through garbage dumps?  When measured at the dump, each American citizen disposes of around 7 pounds of garbage each day. This is collected at great taxpayer expense and buried in what used to …

How to Raise an Environmentalist Read More »

The Optimistic Futurist Frets About Invisible Threats by Francis P. Koster, Ed.D. Futurists know that if the average person can see a growing problem like the increase in the number of obese kids on a playground, or sense a rather immediate threat to their family from lightning from an oncoming violent storm, the threatened person will …

How to Raise an Environmentalist Read More »

Thinking Electric Thoughts by Francis P. Koster, Ed.D. Picture a large, noisy convention center, and hordes of jet-lagged business types gripping their coffee like it was a life preserver.  In front of a busy demonstration booth, I am holding a piece of our future – an electricity producing roof shingle.  Dow Solar has begun selling …

How to Raise an Environmentalist Read More »

Coping with Population Growth and the Costs of Energy and Food by Francis P. Koster, Ed. D Our food supply is enormously dependent on energy for pesticides, fertilizer, processing, packaging, and transportation.  And in a rapidly growing world, this dependency will be a challenge. Did you know that the population of the world is growing one …

How to Raise an Environmentalist Read More »

“Eco-Machines” -  A Better way to Treat Waste Water by Jonathan Kennedy “Eco-Machines” on Track to Replace Traditional Wastewater Treatment Facilities Living “Eco” Machines are a mature technology making standard wastewater treatment facilities obsolete. Eco-Machines cost about half as much to construct as conventional sewage treatment plants, boast reduced operating costs [i], require no chemicals …

How to Raise an Environmentalist Read More »

California Successfully Recycles Electronic Waste by Francis P. Koster, Ed.D. The US disposes of 130,000 computers a day.[1] That is roughly 47,450,000 computers per year. Each computer contains 4-8 pounds of lead and other toxins.[2] Pcmag.com stated the United States properly recycles only 10 percent of its e-waste.[3] That leaves 90 percent of recyclable electronic …

How to Raise an Environmentalist Read More »

Mowing Their Way to Decreased Air Pollution by Francis P. Koster, Ed.D. “In one year, a single older mower will pollute as much as 43 new cars each driven 12,000 miles per year,” notes Mr. Bill Atwood, Spokesperson for the South Coast Air Quality Manaement District.  Aiming to reduce emissions from lawn mowers in their …

How to Raise an Environmentalist Read More »

Replacing Car Gas Caps Saves $500 Annually, Cleans Air! by Francis P. Koster, Ed.D. The Problem: Leaking gas caps contribute to air pollution and waste fuel due to evaporation. According to the US Car Care Council estimates, 17% of vehicle gas caps are either damaged or missing allowing 147 million gallons of gasoline to vaporize …

How to Raise an Environmentalist Read More »


By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: The Optimistic Futurist, 1012 Westlake Drive, Kannapolis, NC, 28081, http://www.theoptimisticfuturist.org. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact

Copyright © 2020 The Optimistic Futurist. All Rights Reserved.